The Faculty of Accounting and Finance of the University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA) is a provider of high quality academic and professional education in Accounting, Banking and Finance established in 2005/2006 Academic year. The Faculty currently has two Departments, namely Departments of Accounting and Banking and Finance, offering various undergraduate, postgraduate and professional programmes. Over the years, the faculty has been and continues to be the preference for most students due to the rich programme content which is on high demand by industry, and the caliber of staff who are academically and professionally qualified to prepare students for the world of work. The Faculty has clearly distinguished itself by the enviable and outstanding products of students and alumni who are exhibiting scholarship with professionalism in their respective work places, both nationally and internationally. Since its establishment the Faculty has been a place of academic and professional excellence, dedicated to the advancement of knowledge through teaching and research as well as community service. Through its international collaborations, the faculty facilitates exchange programmes for both faculty and students. The Faculty delivers new ideas in classroom where students receive unmatched teaching through small class sizes and collaborates with industry practitioners. This ensures that our students combine theory with practice to be relevant and competitive in the labour market. The faculty has over six thousand (6000) student population, with distinguished and accomplished scholars, researchers and highly sought-after qualified professionals who have advanced academic degrees and professional qualifications in various fields from renowned and prestigious institutions across the world.
The Faculty of Accounting and Finance of the University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA) was established to provide both academic and professional education to not only nationals, but also to international students. Our hallmark as a Faculty is ensuring quality in our teaching and learning processes as well as in our service delivery to our internal and external stakeholders. We strive to provide our students with programmes and services that meet and even exceed their expectations. We are also committed to ensuring continuous improvement in our programmes and systems through the establishment of Quality Management Systems, which provide a framework for measuring and improving our performance. Our internal procedures are reviewed regularly and held in a Quality Manual made available to every staff of the Faculty.
We aspire to be a leader among Universities that offer Accountancy, Banking and Finance, and to achieve national and international recognition of these disciplines by providing programs of academic and professional distinction that meet the needs of industry.
Our mission is to provide excellence in accounting, banking, and finance education through teaching, research, and community service.
How do we achieve our mission?
• Fostering intellectual curiosity, academic excellence, business insights, and accounting, banking, and finance expertise
• Creating high-impact, relevant research
• Engaging and collaborating with professional communities both within Ghana and the rest of the world
• Leveraging technology
Our Shared Values
• Continuous improvement and recognition of excellence in teaching, research, and service
• Recognition of the diverse perspective of students, employers, and society as accounting, banking, and finance program stakeholders
• Appreciation of professional certifications and core competencies needed for long-term professional success
• Responsiveness to changes in organizations and society
• A shared sense of community and collegiality among faculty, students, administrators, and other stakeholders
• Superior quality for a higher purpose
The faculty has two main Departments:
• Department of Accounting
• Department of Banking and Finance
Post Graduate programmes:
• Master of Business Administration in Accounting and Finance
• Master of Business Administration in Petroleum Accounting and Finance
• Master of Business Administration in Auditing
• Master of Business Administration in Internal Auditing
• Master of Philosophy in Finance
• Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Accounting
• Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) Banking and Finance
• Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Actuarial Science
• Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Business Economics
• Bachelor of Science (BSc.) Accounting and Finance
• Institute of Chartered Accountants, Ghana (ICAG)
• Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) U.K
• Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) U.K.
• Chartered Institute of Bankers (CIB), GHANA
• Tertiary Diploma in Accounting
The Faculty boasts of a state of the art Lecture Block Complex (LBC), Ultra-modern Library Complex, well-furnished lecture halls equipped with projectors, white boards and microphones for lecturers’ and students’ use. There is a large Conference Room where the Faculty and students hold seminars and conferences. In addition, private study rooms for use outside lecture hours are also available. The LBC also houses offices for lecturers and administrative staff.
• Financial Analysis
• Risk Control Strategies
• Management, Accounting and Financial Strategies
• Audit and Internal Review
• Public Sector Accounting
• Macro Economics
• Development (poverty, Income distribution, Unemployment Issues)