ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
The University of Professional Studies, Accra (UPSA) wishes to officially inform you about our new 12-month Master of Science (MSc) in Procurement Management programme. The programme has been designed to train ethical middle and top level management personnel in procurement, who will be equipped with the knowledge to ensure efficiency and equity in procurement processes. The curriculum will also prepare students towards the certification of professional qualifications of the CIPS and its affiliates.
The aim of the Master of Science (MSc) in Procurement Management programme is to develop ethical human resources required in the procurement of goods, services and works to enable their organizations, both public and private, have value for money. The objectives of the programme are to:
a. Enable students to acquire theoretical and practical knowledge in the procurement of goods, services and works to perform effectively as practitioners.
b. Develop student’s analytical and problem solving skills and competences to analyze and address procurement needs of organizations.
c. Develop students’ abilities in writing procurement plan, designing announcement, supervising bids and arranging logistics for various organizations.
d. Equip students to be ethically-driven and value-adding procurement professionals.
e. Discuss contemporary/emerging issues in procurement standards, public procurement laws, e-procurement and sustainable procurement practice to deliver value for money.
f. Equip students with the skills to apply tools and techniques of research to procurement and related areas to inform policy making and implementation.
Applicants seeking admission into Master of Science (MSc) in Procurement Management programme must:
Admission Requirements – Local Applicants
• At the time of application, applicant must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in business, management, finance and related programmes from an accredited institution.
• Applicant should obtain a minimum of Second Class Lower Division.
• Applicants with non-business bachelor’s degree programme with at least two years working experience in the field of procurement and related areas will be considered
• Applicants with relevant professional qualification such as the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS) and related programmes will also be considered.
Admission Requirements – International Applicants
• International applicants may be admitted on the basis of qualifications from their home country universities for which equivalence shall be determined by the National Accreditation Board (NAB) of Ghana and submitted to the University.
• Evidence of proficiency in English Language will be required from students from non-English speaking countries.
REQUIREMENTS FOR GRADUATION
To qualify for an award of the Master of Science in Procurement Management, a student must pass all the core and mandatory courses and must:
• Have participated in two practitioners forum/seminar and submit report
• Obtain a pass grade of ‘C’ or better for the Project Work.
• Have passed a minimum of forty-two (42) credits.
The required courses of the Master of Science (MSc) in Procurement Management programme are as follows:
There are ten (10) core courses and Project Work to be taken by students on this programme. These are:
1. Procurement Management
2. Ethics and Relationship Management
3. Operations Management
4. Supply Chain Management
5. Procurement Law
6. Strategic Procurement Management
7. Risk Management in Procurement
8. Management Information Systems and E-Procurement
9. Research Methods
10. Financial Management
11. Project Work
There are five (5) elective (optional courses: at least one in each semester) to be taken by students. These are:
1. Goods, Works and Services Procurement
2. Warehousing and Inventory Management
3. Sustainable Procurement Management
4. Project Management
5. Global Sourcing
12 Months (Two Semesters)
Lectures are on weekends; Friday evening (5:30pm-9pm), Saturday (9am-5:30pm) and Sundays (2:30pm-5:30pm) for two semesters (12-months).
For more information about the Programme and the application process please contact the School of Graduate Studies of UPSA on 0208098029/0559919595/054685 0990