The Faculty of Communications studies is situated on the third floor of the newly constructed ultra-modern five-storey lecture and office building in the University of Professional Studies Accra. The faculty was established in 2008 to provide teaching and learning in Public Relations Management and Information Technology Management.
The Faculty has two departments namely, the Department of Public Relations Management Studies and the Department of Information Technology Management Studies. The Faculty is the youngest and the smallest faculty in the University. It was established in 2008. Currently, the Faculty runs a diploma Programme in Public Relations Management and is in the process of obtaining accreditation to run bachelors programmes in Public Relations Management and Information Technology Management, and a diploma programme in Information Technology Management.
The Faculty is headed by an academic Dean with a Faculty Officer who provides administrative support. The two departments are each headed by an academic Head of Department, each of whom is assisted by a departmental officer. The faculty has a records officer, who is responsible for keeping records in the Faculty.
To promote excellent teaching, learning and research in Public Relations Management and Information Technology Management through the active involvement of faculty and students with the view to producing solution oriented students.
To be a distinguished faculty known for providing unique and excellent education and training in Public Relations Management and Information Technology Management.
The Faculty’s research areas are Law, Public Relations and Information Technology.
The Faculty has a number of facilities, which enable it carry out its mandate of teaching and research in the University. These comprise six (6) lecture halls, each accommodating a maximum of one hundred and fifty students; five (5) modern offices made up of offices for the Dean, the Faculty Officer, Heads of Department, Departmental Officers, Records Officer and General Office.
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC RELATIONS MANAGEMENT
The department of Public Relations was set up in 2008 to:
- Offer courses leading to the award of Diploma and Bachelor of Arts degree in Public Relations Management.
- Promote professional public relations management practice through research, seminars and lectures among others; as well as develop the capacity of students to analyze written and oral communications in order to identify and implement techniques for proper drafting, revising and editing of communication materials.
- Enable students demonstrate proficiency in areas of professional writing and speaking as well as identify, evaluate specific audiences and develop styles of written communication and modes of delivery to suit those audiences.
- Prepare students to be communication liaisons between their organisations and the publics and to approach public relations issues in a critical, ethical and professional manner.
- Develop students’ knowledge, skills, and research abilities to solve public relations problems and to meet the needs of industry.
The courses taught in the department are outlined below:
- PBPR 101 Introduction to the Study of Political Science
- PBPR 102 Philosophy and Logic
- PBPS 102 Introduction to Computer Technology & Applications
- PBPR 103 Introduction to Sociology
- PBPR 104 Fundamentals of Communication
- PBPS 104 French Language II
- PBPS 105 French Language I
- PBPR 105 Introduction to Psychology
- PBPS 106 English Language II
- PBPR 106 Precision writing
- PBPS 107 English Language I
- PBPR 107 History of Mass Media in Africa
- PBBA 201 Organizational Behaviour
- PBPR 201 Introduction to Mass Communication
- PBMK 201 Integrated Marketing Communications I
- PBMK 202 Integrated Marketing Communication II
- PBPR 202 Communication Research Methods I
- PBPR 203 Introduction to Social Media
- PBPR 204 Information for Mass Communication
- PBPR 205 Report writing
- PBPR 206 Editing for Usage and Style
- PBPR 207 Introduction to Media Law
- PBPR 208 Theories of Public Relations
- PBPR 209 Introduction to Communication Theory and Research
- PBBS 214 Introduction to Total Quality Management
- PBPR 301 Introduction to Public Relations I
- PBPR 302 Introduction to Public Relations II
- PBPR 303 Communication Research Methods II
- PBPR 304 Public Relations in Practice
- PBPR 305 Communication Management
- PBPR 306 Public Relations in Government
- PBPR 307 Business Communication
- PBPR 308 Public Relations in Corporate Governance
- PBPR 309 Public Relations Workshop
- PBBS 309 Management Information Systems
- PBPR 310 Public Relations in Non-profit (Charity) Organizations
- PBPR 312 Public Relations in Higher Education
- PBBS 400 Dissertation
- PBBS 401 Internship
- PBPR 401 Effective Public Speaking
- PBPR 402 Public Relations Strategy & Campaign Planning
- PBPR 403 Issues and Crisis Management
- PBPR 404 Public Relations Writing
- PBPR 405 Media Relations
- PBPR 406 Public Relations Ethics and Law
- PBPR 407 Employee Relations
- PBPR 408 Events Management
- PBPR 409 International Public Relations
- PBPR 410 Communication Technology and Public Relations
- PBPR411 Political Communication
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DEPARTMENT
The department was set up in 2008 to:
- Provide students with opportunity to develop practical skills to develop and integrate manage information systems.
- Train students to assemble, install, troubleshoot, repair and upgrade computer hardware
- Train students to design, develop and manage data communications networked systems.
- Provide specialized knowledge for the design and management of Database.
- Provide a solid foundation in computing for web development and management.
- Provide students with the necessary skill and knowledge to configure and maintain ICT infrastructure.
- Produce students who will on graduation be self-reliant to participate in the technological development and the advancement of Information and Communication Technology in Ghana and indeed the world.
- Prepare students for post-graduate work in the field of Information and Communication Technology Management education and research.
Causes taught in the department are outlined below:
- PBIM 101 Introduction to Information Technology
- PBIM103 Business Mathematics
- PBIM 105 Graphics and Multimedia Applications
- PBIM107 Communication Skills
- PBPS105 French Language I
- PBPS 111 Fundamentals Public Administration
- PBIM102 Business Application Software
- PBIM104 Computer Hardware Systems
- PBIM106 Programming Fundamentals
- PBIM108 Introduction to Management
- PBPS112 Business Communication
- PBPS108 French Language II
- PBIM201 Web Development Fundamentals
- PBIM203 Operating Systems
- PBIM 205 Object Oriented Programming
- PBBS201 Quantitative Methods
- PBBS205 Principles of Economics I (Micro)
- PBIM207 Fundamentals of Networks
- PBBS209 Introduction to Environmental Management
- PBIM 202 Web Development Technologies
- PBIM204 Introduction to Computational Mathematics
- PBIM 206 Principles of Accounting
- PBIM 208 Database Management Systems I
- PBBS208 Introduction to Business Finance
- PBBS212 Business Law
- PBBS214 Principles of Economics II (Macro)
- PBIM 301 Database Management Systems II
- PBIM 303 System Analysis and Design
- PBIM 305 Automation of Business Processes and Systems
- PBIM 307 Data Communication and Computer Networks
- PBBS301 Business Statistics
- PBBS309 Introduction Total Quality Management
- PBIM 304 Network and Systems Administration
- PBIM 306 Software Quality Management
- PBBS 306 Management Information Systems
- PBBS304 Research Methods
- PBBA 304 Operations Management
- PBBS206 Economy of Ghana
- PBBS 401 Internship
- PBIM 401 Computer and Network Security
- PBIM 403 Information Management
- PBIM 405 IT Implementation and Maintenance
- PBIM407 Information Technology Projects Management
- PBBA303 Human Resource Management
- PBIM 409 Electronic Business
- PBIM 411 End User Management
- PBBS 400 Dissertation
- PBIM 402 Systems Audit and Control
- PBIM 404 Management of IT Systems and Resources
- PBIM404 Professional Computing Practice
- PBBS302 Entrepreneurship Development
- PBIM 408 Mobile Web Development
- PBIM 412 Marketing in the IT Sector