The UPSA library has a unique collection of a balanced blend of both academic and professional reading and research materials that supports the University’s mission of producing scholarsand professionals.The UPSA Library is at the central nerve of the University. To enable it play the very important role it performs in the academic life on campus, the Library has been segmented into two branches which perform similar functions but in different locations.
The main library which is designated for undergraduate and post graduate students as well as lectures is located on the first floor of the old Administration / Library Block. The post graduate library, which is also designated for postgraduate students as well as lecturers, is also located on the graduate floor of the old Lecture block.The UPSA Library, with its rich and diverse collection of materials serves the teaching and researchneeds of administrative staff and students as well as other clienteles.
The Library’s mission is to support the University’s teaching, research and service functions. It does so by:
• Selecting, acquiring, processing and providing access to bibliographic, print and electronic information, knowledge, and data needed by the University’s communityfor teaching, research, intellectual and creative activities.
• Providing the instruction and expert assistance needed to use the Library’s resources efficiently.
• Preserving recorded history and knowledge in areas unique to the University’s role and mission.
• Providing the appropriate structural facilities to support learning and research.
Besides the Library’s large collection of printed materials which have been shelved according to the Library of Congress Classification scheme, the library has an electronic library unit that stocks very large volumes of electronic journals, databases as well as electronic books which users access for research purposes.
The UPSA Library’s print collection currently consist of books on Law, Banking and Finance, Marketing, Management, Business Administration, Information Technology and Accounting. Also included in its collection are books on various professional courses such as CIMA, ACCA, ICSA, CIM as well as ICAG, which the University providestuition for candidates pursuing such courses.
The Electronic Support Unit of the Library has large volumes of e-books, e- journals and databases available to students for research purposes. There are also information materials on CDs which students are able to access on the computers available at the Electronic Support Unit. The electronic library has been extended beyond the walls of the University; thereby making it possible forstudents outside the University campus to access, using their Student Identification log in information.
Among the reference materials available in the Library include:
• Past Question Papers
• Encyclopedias and world books
• General and subject based dictionaries
• Revision kits for professional books
• News letters